07 October 2009

About varnish, wax, oil....

Time to think about what to use as finish.

Choices for finish: A hardening wax, oil, oil varnish....
Possible grounds: glue, eggwhite, ...

A wax could fill the pores of the walnut achieving a smooth surface. Oil would show the structure/pores of the wood.
After filling the pores with a suitable filler an oil varnish could result in a fine smooth and durable surface.
On my other instruments the danish-/tung- oil was very successful.

I have ordered oil varnish (la-type) and pore-filler from Hammerl. If filling the pores of the body is succesful I'll use varnish on body and top. If not I'' use varnish on the top and wax on the body (Preferably a ax that hardens completely).
It'll be the first time to handle oil varnish, so I'll do some experiments on leftovers first.....

In the meantime I'll finish the fingerboard and the neck an make the tuning pins.
I hope to start varnishing in about a week....

No comments: