27 February 2011

Gearing up

I'm finally getting on track with my new project.
Sawn the pieces of MDF for the inner mold and the back-plane on whicht everything will be put together.

Also getting ready for bending the ribs of the back.
I aquired some pieces of several kinds of wood allready thinned to 2 mm. Most of it is ash.
Planed them to approc. 1 to 1.5 mm to start with.
After soaking them in a ammonium/alcohol (In Holland household/denaturated alcohol is coloured blue so I bought some bottles in Germany where it is sold 'white')  solution I'll try to tie them to the 'contra' molds that I am constructing of maple-leftovers. The far two on the picture are already shaped in form.

It took some time to find a container large enough for the 45 cm pieces. The briefcase comes in handy.

I put the pieces in a plastic bag and poured in 0.5 L of alcohol and 0.5 L of ammonia-solution (and tried not to breathe in the amonium/alcohol.) and closed the bag and the lid of the briefcase.

No comments: