17 July 2011

Bending ribs for Dias 2

After a week soaking in an alcolhol/amonium mixture I've taken some strips out

The plan was to alternate lighter and darker ribs, but that's kind of hard to distinguish now (I had numbered the ribs from 1 to 7 but the numbers have disapeared....)
The liquid has become very dark. Al lot of coulour must have been washed out of the wood.
I think the dark colour of the nutwoot has now quite evenly spread through all of them.
 (Was this colour not the main ingredient of van  Dyke's Crystal?)


Immersing the wooden strips for a short time in boiling water makes them very soft and bendable.
I've tied them to the molds that I had already prepared for the previous instrument






Bent three of them now. No crack's like in the ash I used on the previous instrument.
Nut is a lot easier to handle.

No comments: