26 November 2008

New projects...

I'm switching to english to enable non-dutch-reading people to keep up.
(I hope my enhlish is better than the google automated translation. Less funny though...;)

After the Utrecht festival of early music new ideas have been slumbering for some time.

It seems that the recent snow reminded me that it's winter now and high time to develop new plans.

Well then...

I decided to make plans for 2 new instruments.
  1. An early renaissance bass-viol (venetian, mid 15th century)
  2. A vihuela de arco inspired bij the project of Rene Slotboom and Sebastán Núñez presented at the festival
1. The bass viol
After reading articles about the early venetian viols (references .....) and after hearing the sound of them I'm sure these instruments are more suitable for playing the music I care most for.
Samples can be found on the websites of Richard Jones and Henner Harders.

Used references:
(Links are working within our university campus and other places with licenses for the offered materials)

When I discovered the soundsample on the latter by Fretwork I imediately ordered the CD PETRUCCI. Harmonice Musices Odhecaton. (HMG507291).


I will almost certainly base my instrument on the drawing of the tenorviol by Francesco Linarol (Kunsthistorisches Museum Wien, SAM 66 (C71) http://www.khm.at/staticE/page3091.html)

2. The vihuela de arco
One of the earlier posts of this weblog shows a picture of the vihuela de arco built bij Rene Slotboom and presented at the festival. I don't expect to build an exact replica of this instrument. I'm collecting contemporary pictures of these instruments.

No comments: